Solving email problems
Today I learned how to solve outgoing email problems.
The problem: Email was coming into a new installation of Thunderbird but outgoing mail was throwing up an error message.
- The details of the outgoing mail server
- The usernames and passwords of the relevant accounts
- The security requirements of the mail server
- The setup of Thunderbird connecting to the Internnet (no proxy or other strange setting being used)
- The appropriate details like reply-to are filled in correctly
What turned out to be the problem? Using a friend’s network whose ISP appears to block the use of port 25
Solution – use port 26!
This may help others in future if you have a strange outgoing email problem.