Mothers’ Day flowers

It was Mothers’ Day here in the UK yesterday. I was a bit disappointed that no cards came through the door so I settled down to a day of crafting, and the OH declared he’d cook a proper roast dinner (his speciality!).

Then there was a ring at the doorbell and a surprise bunch of flowers appeared – followed by a surprise appearance of my son! (He lives 160 miles away and often works weekends.) I think my scream of delight must have echoed down the street.  And later my daughter appeared in time for a lovely dinner. Best day ever!

And I even finished some cards…

Here are two cards to enter for Darnell’s Twofer March challenge: Blossoms. I hope they are different enough. They are certainly for different occasions, a sympathy card to let a friend know I am still thinking of her, and a birthday card.

And here they are separately.

This ombre birthday card was created by dragging a Kaleidacolor Desert Heat inkpad across glossy paper, and a branch-with-blossoms stamp, think that was free with a magazine!  I made an error and found I’d been storing my Kaleidacolor inkpad on its side so all the ink has run together rather more than I’d like 🙁  The yellow has disappeared altogether so I had to add that from a separate inkpad.

I’m also entering this one into Seize the Birthday Anything Goes!

and of course AAA Cards CAS Game #110 – Ombre

The second card was created using a technique new to me – sponging. I cut up my washing up sponge…

I sponged Distress inks Cracked Pistachio, Peacock Feathers and Mermaid Lagoon onto glossy photo paper, spritzed with water and Perfect pearls Mist in Perfect Blue, dried and set with a heat gun and stamped the same flower branch as above in Memento black.

I’m entering this one in Watercooler Wednesday’s WWC160 – Heidi’s Feminine “Anything Goes” Challenge

The joy of surprise
Like flowers, light up my heart
With someone I love!

1. Anita in France
    Mar 12, 2018 @ 20:59:22

The cherry blossom is so delicate and lovely, Helen! The ombré on your first card is fabulous … what a cool effect from swiping the ink pad across the card panel! Lovely (washing up!) sponged background on your second card … the shimmery spritzing adds such a great sense of depth and dimension! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita 🙂

2. Gail
    Mar 12, 2018 @ 21:34:04

Love the blue tones and the CAS design. Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday.

3. Darnell Knauss
    Mar 12, 2018 @ 23:19:41

Great Haiku for your delightful Mother’s Day of wonderful surprises, flowers, and a roast dinner, Helen! Perfection!!

Your two different designs for two different occasions are both lovely using the freebie blossom branch! I love the vibrant colors of your clever swiping on the birthday card and the pretty sponging of your sympathy card! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Twofer Card Challenge #3!! Hugs, Darnell

4. sandym
    Mar 12, 2018 @ 23:33:47

Such a pretty pair of cards, and I love your technique of wiping the ink pad across the card stock! What fun to hear about your surprise Mother’s Day celebration, too. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Seize the Birthday!

5. Tenia Nelson
    Mar 13, 2018 @ 00:24:47

What beautiful cards!! Thanks for playing along with us at Watercooler Wednesday!!

6. Heidi Weaver
    Mar 13, 2018 @ 03:37:48

Who needs cards in the mail, Helen, when one has the joy of one’s children right there? What a lovely surprise you had, to be sure. Love your cards! You’ve created a beautiful background using that sponging technique with your Distress inks. I’m sure there is quite a lovely shimmer with the spray of Perfect Pearls. It shows off that pretty branch of blooms very well. Love the way you simply left the image black. Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

7. Verna Angerhofer
    Mar 13, 2018 @ 07:32:59

Two very lovely cards using the cherry blossoms. Thanks for joining the March Twofer Challenge #3.

8. Jane
    Mar 13, 2018 @ 21:04:28

Beautiful colours, pretty cards. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

9. Kara Lynne
    Mar 14, 2018 @ 20:02:51

Your post read just like a story: I was mad that your kids didn’t acknowledge you on Mother’s Day, and by the end I was all happy as I envisioned your family seated round the dinner table! The bonus of two cards for Twofer was dessert! Two beautiful cards, Helen! So sorry to hear about the ink pad – grrr! It did make for a beautiful ombre background. Beautiful depth of blues give your sympathy/thinking of you card a serene feel. Thanks for joining in the fun with us at the Twofer Card Challenge!

10. Melissa
    Mar 15, 2018 @ 15:55:57

Lovely blossoms, Helen. Great vibrant ombre colors. Thanks for playing along at AAA Cards this week.

11. Izzy Scrap
    Mar 16, 2018 @ 17:32:45

What a great surprise you had and a finally a fabulous day ! You also managed to do two beautiful cards with these cherry blossoms ! Love the vivid and bright ombré over the Kraft card base ! So much contrast with your sympathy card and its delicate sponging ! Thanks for sharing and for inspiring.