OLDSMOOC Wk3 Imagining the design
So here are the results of my design exercise for my own project – a MOOC (I’m focusing on assessment in a MOOC, but obviously at this stage the visualisations are of the assessment in the context of the whole course!)
Course Feature Cards
Activity profile – Predict
A MOOC will of course have quite a bit of directed reading and quite a bit of communication, so that’s where the activities concentrate.
Plan Activity profile
Comments that arose out of the activities
- I need to confirm the hours for a 10 or 20 credit module.
- I can work out by percentages, roughly
- Some of these activities will be new to many learners so they will take longer for some than others
- Some activities come into more than one type – e.g., producing something that is then assessed. So 2 hours of production plus 1 hour of assessment?
- This could skew the calculations about time required – it can only be very generalised and “average”.
- My project is to consider students taking the same course at different credit levels and no credit (MOOC style) so I probably need to do an Activity Map for at least one of each type of learner…
- Some of the module is about learning to learn, especially in the MOOC format
- It has implications for facilitation – which of these types of learning needs most facilitation? Might have unexpected answer!
- Skills also need to be directly applicable to employability so experiential learning might be important
- I don’t really know what the difference between experiential and adaptive is – isn’t investigate the same as explore or experiment?
Now I’ll go and contribute to the group projects I’m involved in. Comments welcome!